Engineering is a people-first field. Michigan Engineering’s approach is to improve both the culture and the solutions through an equity-centered engineering lens. This includes sustained, pervasive education around issues of race, ethnicity, unconscious bias and inclusion for everyone at Michigan Engineering–students, faculty and staff. Learn more about Michigan Engineering’s commitment to creating an inclusive & equitable culture for all.
Evolving the role of our Center for Engineering Diversity and Outreach (CEDO), the College has established a new structure, the Office of Culture, Community and Equity (OCCE).
The Office of Culture, Community and Equity (OCCE) promotes the College’s strategic mission, vision and values while fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture.
OCCE will drive a culture of inclusion and equity to further equity-centered engineering, maximizing impact and capacity-building within and beyond the Michigan Engineering community. This includes:
- Supporting funding mechanisms for faculty success in research
- Facilitating community building through engagement
- Fostering cultural competency through professional and personal development
- Recognizing and elevating leaders in diversity, equity and inclusion
- Leading assessment and evaluation efforts within the College
- Centralizing efforts, thought leadership and strategic practices of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Leveraging our subject matter expertise in diversity, equity and inclusion implementation and strategy
Culmination of Effort
- The office continues the excellent work of DEI Director Sara Pozzi and fulfills our goal of creating a central resource for cutting across silos and engaging the entire College in applying equity-centered values to our work and environment.
- The Office of Culture, Community and Equity leads the Michigan Engineering community in creating an environment that is inclusive, daring, collaborative, transparent and seeks to have social impact.
- It provides resources for the students, faculty and staff behind our research, education and culture. OCCE establishes a structure that will work horizontally across all our pillars and units to ensure the work is not siloed.
- OCCE builds on Michigan Engineering’s greatest strengths to enable engineering solutions that close critical gaps and elevate all people. Through equity-centered engineering, OCCE will assist Michigan Engineering in establishing sustainable resources that help identify and address issues related to inequity.